Friday, August 22, 2008

Hair Salon Day

Yesturday was hair salon day for my mom. Its always dicey if we can get her in the car, as she sometimes is resistant to going. But, yesturday was successful. A sweet young girl meets us at the door and takes mom by the hand to her station. For a minute, my mom feels pretty, holds her head up, stands a little straighter, flirts for a second or two with my dad when we get home, then goes back to bed. When she wakes up, the hairdo is gone, but its o.k.

You know how Alzheimer's folks forget. That also means they can't remember when they've just eaten. Besides not remembering the pleasure of a juicy popcicle on their tongue, they also don't get the sensation of being full. Yesturday mom was starving.
She actually paced around the kitchen waiting for me to prepare food, after each meal had been cleared. It made her a bit frustrated, because she needs me to understand and to react,
since she cannot prepare food herself. Imagine standing in your own kitchen and feeling so hungry, but not knowing how to get food yourself, and to have to wait for someone to understand what you need. That's a bummer.

At times, mom tries to strike up a conversation with me. She askes, "how are your kids"?
It takes me a while to explain that I am single with no husband or children. I don't think she buys it.

Today I'll take mom and go running again at the track. She'll watch me from the van and wave each time I pass. Perhaps her mom and sisters will come and visit her again (she imagines). As long as her day dreams are pleasant, we're doing o.k.

xoxoKristine

No comments: