Friday, August 22, 2008

Bobbing

My dad only called me twice last weekend to tell me that mom was looking for me, and that she was sitting at the dining room table staring at the vase of flowers and wanted to go home.
Mom tells us often that she wants to go home. And when we say, "this is your home, Mom", she gets frustrated. So, I told my dad to try and change her context. My trick is to turn on some Dean Martin tunes, and break out the peanut butter and graham crackers. Usually that works. Thank goodness he tried it. Otherwise, he would have asked me to come home early.

Theraputically speaking, I get really good results with songs such as, "Welcome To My World", and "Ain't That a Kick in the Head", by Dean Martin. They are perfect songs for my mom. She remembers them a little, and tries to form the words and sing along.
Another big hit is, "Que sera sera" (Whatever Will Be Will Be), by Doris Day. Mom used to sing that to us when we were kids. So, this one's a winner too. I usually sing it when we're doing the big wash up in the bathroom each morning. Helps us both, really.

There's a little irony in the title of those songs, don't you think?

I took mom with me over to the high school track, to give Dad some space. I ran around the soccer fields while she watched me from the van. Stopping by her window at every lap, to reasure her she wasn't alone. We did ok. But, while I was running, she was sure her mom and sisters came by and spoke to her. She was so happy.
And said they were all up at the house (supposedly) waiting for us. I went along with it. Fortunately, she forgot by the time we got home. I was worried she was going to be very disappointed. But I got lucky.

Here's a little bonus about Alzheimer's people. Since many of them don't remember the last 15 minutes, some things can be a repetitive surprise. As with my mom. She's often smiling at me affectionately, asking, "Where have you been? I've missed you? Will you stay with me?"
That's pretty cool in my book. It's kind of like the movie, "50 First Dates", only different.

Talk to you soon.
xoxo Kristine

No comments: