Friday, October 31, 2008

Leaves are Falling

My mom doesn't know who I am any longer.
But sometimes she thinks I'm funny and tells me so.
Most of the time her words are jibberish, and I pretend I understand.
But on occassion, she is clear.
Yesterday she said, "You're the strong one". That was a surprise.
Was it what she intended to say, or just an accident?
In the past she has said things like, "You're a nice lady", or "You're pretty".
But, her last comment seemed so insightful.
I wish I knew what was going on inside her head.
I think I could do a better job of making her comfortable.

We saw the doctors this week. Their reports weren't good.
"Keep her comfortable", was the jist of it.
They did some testing and found she has no circulation below her knees due to atherosclerosis (as if Alzheimer's wasn't enough).
So that's why she's not walking much. The blood vessels and arteries are almost completely closed. "Hospice isn't far away", they told us.

No comments: